All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:22 pm

Post subject: Hunters 500p
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi,

I would like to make an army of hunters with some of my new adquisitons during christmas. I'm usually an elven player and I don't know much of dark lists.

Here we go with the list:

Pros : 9 Might, cavalry for flanking and some good D5-D6 elites with the gundabads.

Warband 1
Fimbul the hunter on warg
4 hunters on warg
4 fell wargs

Warband 2
Yazneg on warg w/ lance
3 Gundabad orcs shield
3 Gundabad orcs spear
6 hunters on foot

Warband 3
Narzug
5 Gundabad orcs shield
4 Gundabad orcs spear
3 hunters on foot

9 Might
35 warriors

Visit my WIP!

Last edited by Argish on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Hunters 500p
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The gundabads have spears now, it was changed in the latest FAQ. Looks a solid list though, as a fairly experienced hunter orc player myself you'll struggle against terror causing armies but most other stuff should fall to your str 4. Fimbul is one of my favourite evil heroes. If you can, try and mount Yazneg on a warg w/ lance to give him even more killing power.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Argish wrote:
Hi,

I would like to make an army of hunters with some of my new adquisitons during christmas. I'm usually an elven player and I don't know much of dark lists.

Pros : 9 Might, cavalry for flanking and some good D5-D6 elites with the gundabads.

Warband 1
4 hunters on warg
4 fell wargs

Warband 2
Yazneg
3 Gundabad orcs shield
3 Gundabad orcs pike
6 hunters on foot

Warband 3
Narzug
5 Gundabad orcs shield
4 Gundabad orcs pike
3 hunters on foot

9 Might
35 warriors

I didnt go through and calculate the points since I dont have all the books by me, but are you going for a specific points value?

Let me just say....your list DOES look nice....buy Ive tried out Gundabads and besides their defense they always let me down...

Personally when I run Hunter Orcs I literally just use their named heros, then captains, and all they lead is hunter orcs on foot. You get a ton of 2 attack strength 4 models. I know their D is weak, but I havent found putting in gundabads to make it better than just overwhelming with attack.

But it all depends on your play style.

I know though for that list you have you can get another 8 hunters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
The gundabads have spears now, it was changed in the latest FAQ. Looks a solid list though, as a fairly experienced hunter orc player myself you'll struggle against terror causing armies but most other stuff should fall to your str 4. Fimbul is one of my favourite evil heroes. If you can, try and mount Yazneg on a warg w/ lance to give him even more killing power.

Yes, I forgot to include that , It was on the points cost though.

I was thinking on including an orc horn to increase courage stats. Maybe dropping two fell wargs.

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Argish wrote:
Hi,

Warband 1
4 hunters on warg
4 fell wargs

Warband 2
Yazneg
3 Gundabad orcs shield
3 Gundabad orcs pike
6 hunters on foot

Warband 3
Narzug
5 Gundabad orcs shield
4 Gundabad orcs pike
3 hunters on foot

9 Might
35 warriors

I didnt go through and calculate the points since I dont have all the books by me, but are you going for a specific points value?

Let me just say....your list DOES look nice....buy Ive tried out Gundabads and besides their defense they always let me down...

Personally when I run Hunter Orcs I literally just use their named heros, then captains, and all they lead is hunter orcs on foot. You get a ton of 2 attack strength 4 models. I know their D is weak, but I havent found putting in gundabads to make it better than just overwhelming with attack.

But it all depends on your play style.

I know though for that list you have you can get another 8 hunters.

Yes, 500 points, it's on the topic subjetc :-D

Including gundabad orcs increase survival chances, at a certain cost because as you said I'm losing kill ability, but I think It's necessary. Everything being D4 is not good against large range armies.

Visit my WIP!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah that's true but with this type of army you just rush in and slaughter them. Gundabads perform poorly in combat against both elves and dwarves and men suck at shooting generally.

Im just letting you know I've tested it both ways plenty. As for the warg riders they are definitely not worth the points.