All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:28 am

Post subject: over the edge - house rule
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If a model loses a duel and is forced to back away next to a vertical drop they must fall off the edge. I would like to think a model would do anything possible to avoid that fate.

So I think their should be a house rule where the model gets to make a last chance test before leaping.

But what rule would be best?

Should a model test on courage with a modifier? Perhaps the modifier could be the difference in the duel dice totals?

Or should the model instead make a test on fight (2d6 needing equal or lower than fight, for example) or something else?

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by celticgriffon on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: over the edge - house rule
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I thought there was a rule that the model could choose to take the fall off the edge or count as trapped so he would get double strikes against him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Unless I am missing something the model counts as trapped.. Takes double strikes and then leaps according to the Hobbit rules. Perhaps the LOTR manuals had something different though?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I thought it was 1,2,3 the model falls, 4+ the model keeps it's footing but counts as trapped

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Grungehog wrote:
I thought it was 1,2,3 the model falls, 4+ the model keeps it's footing but counts as trapped

Page 39, Mini-rulebook. Under Losers Back Away. It reads, and I quote:

"...However, a loser at the edge of a vertical drop, with nowhere else to Back Away too, must move off the edge. If the drop is equal to, or less than the model's height, he suffers no damage. If the drop is greater than the height of the model, then the model suffers falling damage (pg 28)."

It also never mentions that a model backed up to an edge, with nowhere to go but down, counts as Trapped. This presumably could be due to the fact that the model might just die from falling anyways. Plus, if you think of it, he does have somewhere to go, even if that somewhere is down (possibly to his doom), whereas the rules for Trapped mention that the model must have nowhere it can Back Away to.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It is funny how I assumed things which were not written. Indeed I assumed a model with nowhere to go but "over the edge" would be considered "trapped".

This being said I think we are going to house rule that the side which won the duel gets to make hacks before their adversaries leap over the edge.

Also, in order to give heroic models a chance to be umm "heroic" we are going to allow a save vs. the leap. I think it will be the difference in duel scores as a negative modifier to the fight or defense value whichever is smaller. It is a slim chance for most but still a chance.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

celticgriffon wrote:
It is funny how I assumed things which were not written. Indeed I assumed a model with nowhere to go but "over the edge" would be considered "trapped".

This being said I think we are going to house rule that the side which won the duel gets to make hacks before their adversaries leap over the edge.

Also, in order to give heroic models a chance to be umm "heroic" we are going to allow a save vs. the leap. I think it will be the difference in duel scores as a negative modifier to the fight or defense value whichever is smaller. It is a slim chance for most but still a chance.

Michael

Or perhaps allow you to use Fate to prevent the fall? That way its only Heroes being heroic, and regular warriors will just plummet off the edge like normal. Plus, it probably won't come up so often that having it be a Fate roll would be detrimental.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am planning on building a Goblin Town board for our annual convention this year and this is why I was thinking a "house rule" would be useful. I can see a lot of combats happening on smallish danger filled ledge areas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

celticgriffon wrote:
I am planning on building a Goblin Town board for our annual convention this year and this is why I was thinking a "house rule" would be useful. I can see a lot of combats happening on smallish danger filled ledge areas.

If that's the case, then Fate would not be the best. Still, I recommend leaving heroics to the Heroes, and maybe monsters, and letting the regular warriors just fall to their deaths. Especially so if you plan not only to play on a themed board, but with themed armies (such as Goblins vs Thorin's Company), because even if it is just a slim chance, with enough luck and enough rolls, it could get annoying.