All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:47 pm

Post subject: Pure Ranger army
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Would an army (around 500/600 points) of nothing but Mirkwood Rangers be a viable force to play with ? The heroes would be Tauriel, Legolas and maybe a Ranger captain :) I want to do a themed list representing the force which initially captures Thorin's company in Mirkwood.
I know the shear amount of bow shots combined with the Elven Cloaks and the Knife fighters rule will be a formidable threat but I'm concerned about the lower model count and poor defence :(

Post subject: Re: Pure Ranger army
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i have done a army like that with the older mirkwood army using the king of mirkwood and lego it required a lot of cover and your army to be in one place all the time to receive the terra rule from the aura of dismay.

It did annoy my opponent to use courage every charge but it worked in some way but it wasn't good when facing a high courage force since my troops had such a low defence and i also couldn't win many fights since they out numbered me.

So what this told me low model count with a low defence isn't that g8 unless you are able to pick off a decent amount of models before combat and that is if the objective is to the death if its something like capture objectives or get to the other side of the board the army might be less better off. this is in my own experience.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Like he mentioned the biggest thing is you need to have Thranduil to use aura of dismay. Without it, its very tough for you to win games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I played a grey company with malbeth. Aside from my poor rolls, the army did alright.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I played a grey company with malbeth. Aside from my poor rolls, the army did alright.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi,
I think that this army is quite fun but not very competitive, because it depends on the scenery and the scenario. If your opponent can start the game close to you, you will have a lot of problems. But feel free to try it out at a little 250 Pts. game, so you don't have to buy a lot of miniatures; or use some other miniatures which can count as your elves.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Badner is right, the army can be good but aint so easy faceroll to get use to it and play to win like other armies: goblin town, moria and such. For these buggers you have to be a bit more tricky dealing with your own forces and your oponents.

Grey company, jdizzy001, its diferent in a way as for once mirk rangers cost almost as 2 rangers
- you get alot more might points from 25pts models
- they do have higher defence on some of em..
- the do have spears as they can fight vs a single target and still beat by more attacks (as your oponent will see that is best to feed elves 1 by 1 or gamble their luck by outnumbering the elf by 2 or 3)
- malbeth give to grey company a nearby channelled fury roll, that by itself its beast, and no need to roll for magic as its a passive ability so no actually chance of failing the skill.

the big advantage of these elves in first place
- powerfull and cheap heroes
- better bows
- can be invisible at distance if hidding somewhere (cant be charged on same way unless very close which might spare you)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I figured there was a noticeable difference.