All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:21 pm

Post subject: Anyone used a demolition team in a points match game?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was thinking about it for fun, but I cant believe it only does 2 inches worth of damage....I think thats ridiculous.

Post subject: Re: Anyone used a demolition team in a points match game?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No, thought on it for a while, and it may be useable in hardcore killing matches, but only in very rare situations.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This weapon is absolutely usable in points matches! I use it all the time and I love it! Back in the old rules, it was a terrible weapon. It needed to be set down first and then detonated the next turn. Now it can be detonated in the fight phase in the same turn it was dropped in!

All you do is have a drummer next to the bomb team to give it some extra running range, then run toward the opponent after they have moved (you want to lose priority with this weapon). Then drop it in front of your unit that carried it but NOT TOUCHING THE ENEMY (They can destroy it if they are in base contact with it). Then it detonates at the start of the fight phase! That means before any Heroic Combats.

This will clear a 2" blast radius of monsters, heroes, etc! It's awesome! It's best used against phalanx blocks. Also, make sure you bring plenty of Flaming Brands. Your opponent will try to kill them off. And make sure you are furied so that you automatically pass the courage test required to ignite it.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's a horrible idea. Way to many points, and any person with half a brain will prevent you from using it. If you do all of legions ideas you're looking at roughly 150-200+ points just to use it effectively. You won't get your points back in killing enemies

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:
It's a horrible idea. Way to many points, and any person with half a brain will prevent you from using it. If you do all of legions ideas you're looking at roughly 150-200+ points just to use it effectively. You won't get your points back in killing enemies

You should only be using 80 points. The bomb comes with 2 sappers and a berserker. Therefore they are included in the cost. The berserker already comes with a flaming brand, so you only need two more. The drummer can stay 6" back from the bomb team, so he is not caught in the blast and therefore can still be used throughout the battle. ....

So how did you get the idea that this will be 150-200+ points? It's just 80. And if you kill a Troll or Hero, then you easily made your points back.

And it's actually harder to stop than it seems if you wait till your opponent has Priority. They have already moved, and it activates before anything else in the Fight Phase. Only Magic and shooting will kill it, and in that case, you keep it out of line of sight. Anyone can carry it too, so killing the sappers is not always the answer. Sure you can kill the Brand Carriers but thats why you take multiples.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I was including the drummer, shaman and other models with brands. I understand you may take the drummer or shaman anyways but to run your strategy you must tie up at least that many points

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I might do it just for lols. I have 5 bombs so that should be interesting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

legion wrote:
This weapon is absolutely usable in points matches! I use it all the time and I love it! Back in the old rules, it was a terrible weapon. It needed to be set down first and then detonated the next turn. Now it can be detonated in the fight phase in the same turn it was dropped in!

All you do is have a drummer next to the bomb team to give it some extra running range, then run toward the opponent after they have moved (you want to lose priority with this weapon). Then drop it in front of your unit that carried it but NOT TOUCHING THE ENEMY (They can destroy it if they are in base contact with it). Then it detonates at the start of the fight phase! That means before any Heroic Combats.

This will clear a 2" blast radius of monsters, heroes, etc! It's awesome! It's best used against phalanx blocks. Also, make sure you bring plenty of Flaming Brands. Your opponent will try to kill them off. And make sure you are furied so that you automatically pass the courage test required to ignite it.

Awesome advice man. I will use it within the first few weeks of april likely. I have to prep for a monsters and heroes style tournament till then.

JamesR wrote:
I was including the drummer, shaman and other models with brands. I understand you may take the drummer or shaman anyways but to run your strategy you must tie up at least that many points

Drummers are generally beneficial, and I always take a Shaman with Isengard anyway. Idk if you play the White Hand but its tied for the first unit that goes into my army.

Anyway James I play an Elven guy so getting to his lines ASAP with the drummer is somthing I never wanted to fully invest in....but now....def going to try it.
And honestly dude its not like Im going to play this to win like a tournament. This is between me and a buddy who play all the time and I just him to lol with me as I attempt to get the damned thing near him.

@ LEGION AND JAMES-

I will also be cheesing up it Gouda style and bring the Shadow Lord.

HAAHAHAHHAA suck it Elves.

@ Grunge- EXACTLY. lololol. Im going to bring a bomb, maybe 2.

@Everyone-

Usually my buddy just plays with who he likes and has.

So every week I pretty much play against Tauriel(gonna blow that ***** up) Wood elves Mirkwood Jerks, and then his contigent of men. He has 6 riders of Rohan and a warband of Warriors of Minis Tirith.

I plan on blowing them up out of their armor..... and the horsies too maybe. Well see. Im going to play defensively and offensively at the same time.

Also, Ill tell him were going to play 850-1000 points so 80 wont be so much of a %. Maybe Ill compel Thranduil and his god damn aura of dismay out in the open and blow him up......hmmm...