All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:35 pm

Post subject: Need help with Easterlings!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey all, I've recently rediscovered a pretty large lot of Easterlings I got a few months back and now I want to get my own Easterlings going again. I only have a few painted and based, but overall I have probably 5 boxes worth of them, some of the older metals, about a dozen Kataphrakts, some Commanders, Khamul and Amdur. They seem like such a basic force though, I'm not sure what is optimal with them. I was thinking I'd need at least one War Priest and luckily I've got a lead on the old metal command set for a decent price. Any experienced players have some advice for how to do them justice?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject: Re: Need help with Easterlings!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
Hey all, I've recently rediscovered a pretty large lot of Easterlings I got a few months back

While I personally have no experience with Easterlings I would like to say that this first part made me laugh. How nice would it be to have so much stuff that I just up and forget it all HAHAHAHA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sikano wrote:
While I personally have no experience with Easterlings I would like to say that this first part made me laugh. How nice would it be to have so much stuff that I just up and forget it all HAHAHAHA

Well, I had my "Easterling drawer" and then in June or so I picked up a big lot separately from Kijiji that stayed in the box I got it in. I only recently re-discovered it because I hadn't done anything with them and for some reason tucked it away in the closet, not where I keep my minis!

Still though, there are 40 plastic Easterlings, a Captain, banner and 5 metal Kataphrakts so I suppose it is funny to have forgotten about all that.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What you have is a solid force. The only thing I would add are some dragon knights and a shaman for their magic sword atk. The easterlings are great at making a spartan style phalanx. Their pike like spears kick butt!

Amdur is a decent hero banner (2 atks? C'mon gw!), the phalanx is *awesome* and the cavalry is a solid heavy cavalry, shadow side's answer to dol amroth.

Easterlings are pretty easy to play. Stick them on the front line and press your opponent. A properly built and maintained phalanx will give you 3a from all angles with a reroll from amdur, and shielding. Once your opponent has been stopped by your phalanx hit them with cavalry.

You can change up the tactics a bit if you use dragon knights on your front line for extra attack power, or you could augment the formation with a front row of khandish warriors (they wouldn't be able to reroll, but the other 2 spear support guys would).

You could also prepare an archery unit with a 50% bow limit, but I was never impressed with the easterlings archery power. I would field khand mounted archers or haradrim instead.

Finally, the shaman is good for fury and his magic sword atk which awards someone a well needed str 6 atk.

Oh, post script: khamul, he's a good melee-ish nazgul. That is all i know about him. I've never used him as i've never needed him.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Id highly recommend Khamul, on Fell Beast or horseback he's a deadly unit, when used properly.

The main problem with Easterlings really is they lack punch. Their cavalry cannot take lances, and all their troops are strength 3. Really the only good way to play them is to form a phalanx with a Warpriest and Banner nearby, this allows you to have fury when you lose combat (which you need as your front rank will often be trapped), and 4 dice to win the fight (due to the banner re-roll)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's hard to go wrong with Easterlings, really. They have decent stats for Humans,and some bonuses that their closest Good counterparts (Warriors of MT/MAA Dol Amroth) can't match, namely Fury and the ablity to carry both a Pike and Shield.

A few thoughts on Warband building with Easterlings:

The Phalanx:
Captain, 11 Easterlings with Pike and Shield, 1 with Banner

The theory is a simple one- engage the enemy head-on and fight them in a War of Attrition. See the Spoiler for a very rough diagram on how to counter various enemy formations:

Click to: Show
E=Easterling, C=Captain, B=Banner, 1 space=1 inch.

Starting formation, 4x3 in base contact:
ECEE
EEEE
EBEE

Situation 1: Enemy formation with wider frontage will charge: Your back rank should split and file to the sides, giving you a 6-wide 2-deep formation. Everyone gets 2 attacks, facing only 2 enemy attacks given basic Warriors and spears.

EECEEE
EEBEEE

Situation 2: enemy formation with wider frontage will charge, but you still want 3 Attacks per model (best used against enemies with lower F value, or if you need a bit more staying power)

E C E E
E E E E
E B E E

So in other words, you spread the formation to match their frontage, using Conrol Zones and base sizes to be sure they can still only engage your front rank. 3 attacks per model, with a re-roll, putting you on even terms with 2 Supported enemies.

Situation 3: Enemy formation with lower frontage (typically Elite units) is going to charge, and you are not in danger of being flanked:

ECE
EEE
EEE
EBE

This gives you more staying power in a trade for less killing power; you have a 'spare' Easterling in each file to move up and fill any gaps without losing an Attack. Bit more situational, but if you need to hold on a bit longer, it can work. It also functions as a marching formation if you have distance to cross, as the 'spare' models can fill any gaps caused by Archers.

Of course, this isn't comprehensive, but it gives you an idea of how it works.

That all assumes you can physically get 12 Pikes per formation. If you don't want to convert everyone to be a pikeman, your traditional 6x2 Sword/pike line can work just as well as anyone else's (especially with Fury and a Banner).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I run a 9 unit formation with amdur as the capt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

To add to my above post, it may be worth upgrading any you plan to have on the Front Rank (or just all of them if you can spare the points) to Black Dragons if you see a lot of F3 troops. With 3 attacks each, you are rather likely to roll high enough to at least tie the fight, in which case those 2 points per model are the difference between a roll-off and winning the fight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Never upgrade the front rank to Black dragons, upgrade one of the two rows of pikes.
Two reasons:
1. The front row is the most likely to die, thereby eliminating your F4 troops.
2. If you make one of the pikemen f4 then your swordsman can feint and still have the f4 for your side while also getting the rerolling 1's to wound

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Excellent point, should have thought of that!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

what should you do though if at your club only heroes can use special strikes (monsters can still use their special strikes though)

Eastern Kingdoms
Harad & Umbar
Isengard
Fiefdoms
Gondor
Rohan
Rivendell
Moria
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well you should still avoid putting black dragons in the front rank on account of it being a general waist of points if they are going to be supported by another fight four model.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Are you opposed to mixing Easterlings and other forces?