75 points more 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50 points more 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
25 points more 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Leave it as it is 76%  76%  [ 13 ]
25 points less 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50 points less 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
75 points less 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: How many points should a Mumakil be?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I generally just play games with my brother and we use our own house rules a lot of the time. We've edited all of the points or checked that they're correct using a maths equation but it's quite hard to do with magic users and some special rules.

My question is: how many points should a mumakil be?

I'm in the camp that they're quite over priced and, judging by the lack of them in a lot of the competitive lists I see on here, I guess that they must be but my brother doesn't agree!

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: How many points should a Mumakil be?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So with captain and 12 warriors in the howdah and all the awesome rules...I think he is pretty well priced. I have three, I don't play them often only because I am normally not playing that many points in a match. but in 1000 points matches then at least one maybe two will be out there for sure and if played correctly they will be fun and dangerous. Plus you have full move archery with poisoned arrows, how can you not like that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It just seems quite vuberable to compel/immobilise and to the king of the dead in particular.

Also, I don't seem to get to trample much because the lack of might only lets me attempt two heroic moves which are always countered and leave it 50/50.
And then F4's not so good for such a big beasty either...

I can't seem to get them to work! Fun and awesome they are, but also hugely frustrating I find!

I am right in thinking that you have to buy the crew aren't I? And it just comes with a Captian?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Buy in for the mahud and get extra might and will to resist with. Get tusk weapons too, if you are going to play a mumak then play all in and try and make it count. You can also 'convert' the forks of the mumak to have more cloth on it, thus adding cover for your Mahud Chief from archery (only fair since he can be targeted by anyone even in combat) That spot is the worst place to stand yet they make you pay extra for the chance too so I would make it worth it.

Try setting up your opponent, when your turn to move, tie up some of his men with foot troops and sacrifice them by moving right through them. You don't need might to trample, every move is a trample attack, and then where ever you stop is the combat.

Yes you do have to supply the warriors, Haradrim are cheap, so it should be easy to factor in to the cost.

Practice at home with the mumak and throw some random stuff at it and get used too playing with him. I don't have all my rules with me at the moment, I understand the mumak has low courage. But he resists most magic and the command and immobilize have to be aimed at the chief or mahud, so keep them covered and use that will to help against it (and it would not hurt to aim for that spell caster on your moves as a priority target wither with the mumak or whom ever else you got).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Why would you even consider making the Mumak under 200 points? On a tournament board they can struggle because of the terrain but they're worth every point. A single well placed trample can easily kill 100+ points. As to the KOTD he'll never survive having the Mumak trample him and he won't win the ensuing combat (if by some miracle he did live) with his puny 1 die to 4

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:00 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Haradrim aren't as cheap as they used to be and yes you do need might to trample because you ill have to call a Heroic move, otherwise they will charge the Mumak and lock it in place so it can't trample.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Haradrim aren't as cheap as they used to be and yes you do need might to trample because you ill have to call a Heroic move, otherwise they will charge the Mumak and lock it in place so it can't trample.

Though correct in that instance... you don't 'need' might to trample, if you have priority you can trample in the move phase as normal. But this is why I suggested the Mahud so you can call heroic moves when you need them.
Harad warriors are still fairly cheap, not orc cheap, but you can factor them into the game without any trouble and since anyone who ever has archers on the field always keeps them out of fights yet hates having to move them to get better shots... well the mumak is a great place to drop them to have shoot position and have cover.

If someone wanted to let me take the mumak for 50 points though... I would be happy to bring them into games. :) But they are costly and that is why I only play them in larger point matches, you need support troops to allow you to play a mumak to it's best. If it is more than half your armies points then it was too much to take. So 750 points minimum (and risky at that) but safer at 1000 points match and can be very useful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think he should be cheaper. On paper at least and in every battle report I've seen or read it fails. They will lose to any army with magic shooting or those like cavalry that can outrun it and charge it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Mumaks are fairly costed. They are becoming a regular appearance on the GBHL scene and are tough (but not impossible) to take down. Especially with the throwing rocks and knarled hide upgrade.
I've had an entire warband of Citadel Guard trampled in one move before, that was pretty nasty.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I guess that's the thing- they could kill half an army in two turns but it's getting the chance to trample is my issue. Although I hadn't considered hiding behind my own troops, feels like an adequately evil tactic..!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Considering he costs around 450 points for a useful elephant with upgrades and a weak warband, I think he should be cheaper. Even if just a little off, make him cost 250.

A budget wraith, Legolas, Mirkwood Rangers, Uruk Crossbows, Harad bow spam, Rohirrim, Arnor, and many more just need one or two lucky rolls to have him easily kill hundreds of points of his own army.

I still understand its a beast though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well if you wanna take a super expensive unit, take mumakill and fill up with half trolls, you need ropes upgrade for that 1 though
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Depends how much over the local speed limit the mumakil is travelling....
:)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

We play huge fights so I usually bring about 3, I have 5. I think they are pointed about right. But at the scale we fight it is hard to tell.