All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:23 pm

Post subject: Re: Dweller in the dark vs Cave troll
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Valadorn wrote:

Yeah exactly but I am claiming that except one handed wep (whatever it is sword claw or even a banana) a weapon with special effect like on giving +1S as our friend calls in this conversation needs to be said in the miniature's entry in the book. Just misunderstanding np.

Where does it say that in the rule book? Most of the old source books don't even say hand weapon. It does say in the rule-book that most models have a sculpted on weapon that gives it the special strikes ability, if it does not have one the model may not make special strikes. This is an example of how many archers can't do this normally unless a hand weapon is sculpted on. So it doesn't have to say that the model is equipped with that hand weapon, that's why wood elves can have axes and all other sorts of weapons if you sculpt them or convert them on.

JamesR wrote:
Ok but look at the model as sculpted. This model was released pre- special strikes so there was no need to specify. Also look at intent, Dr Grant, and myself had a long tirade against rule -abuse of finding loop- holes in the rules. This is an instance of that vulnerability

JamesR pretty much sums up what I have just said above, I only realized it now. I do agree I wish people wouldn't abuse it but competitive gamers will do what they can to get what they can from the rules. Since I can't specify what the sourebook says for the Moria and Agmar I can't tell you what the entry says it's armed with if it says it's armed with anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I just like the look of my models carrying flaming weapons, would I use a piercing strike with them? probs not due to -d3 Defence malus going on.

which brings me to another point, has anyone converted a cave troll to have an axe or pick?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Grungehog wrote:
I just like the look of my models carrying flaming weapons, would I use a piercing strike with them? probs not due to -d3 Defence malus going on.

which brings me to another point, has anyone converted a cave troll to have an axe or pick?

I have not but I will have to now. Simply for the aesthetic, I do not use special strikes with monsters, Personally don't think they should have the option as they already have BPA's which are far superior and better written into the rules

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Valadorn wrote:
Dweller in the dark vs Cave troll

Opinions please!
Both can be used on Moria army, i am currently having 2 cave trolls and 1 dweller so if I have to choose what is typically supposed to be better?

I can easily imagine a Dweller on a killing spree but A5 makes its use a little bit tricky. Although 8'' movement may balance the "kiting" (allow me to use this mmo word XD )

Cave troll has S6 , D6 and movement of 6'', can be ranged, has fewer F and low C. Seems weaker to me, so if i am going to use 2 monsters in my army then i would go for 1 dweller and 1 troll, using each one on the correct place!
If i am gonna use 1 of them in an army i cant really say :P

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I am ecstatic that I finally just bought myself one of these!

I have a dweller and will play test him soon. I frequently play cave trolls so I will let you know how it goes with him, as I have a great idea of the effect of cave trolls.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I do not have a dweller, but I do have a cave troll. Normaly I use a troll with a bat swarm and I think that the dweller will either save me 40 pts (35 for the bats) or I can win a fight against any hero as long as I roll a six if I am able to attack him with both.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And resistant to magic is fantastic....the whole idea is that usually monsters are the ones getting transfixed and compelled, etc