All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:24 pm

Post subject: Re: The Battle of the Five Armies fan-made Supplement- Updat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Frêrin wrote:
Just found this topic. Nice ideas, but the dwarfes are not really balanced in my opinion.
My thoughts:

iron hills warriors:
12 points is a lot, but a think they are a bit op if you use them with Dain and spam them with the champion and cheap erebor reclaimed heros. They have 5 dice to win the combat and still 2 to wound.

Ramriders:
with Lance and shield they are only 3 points more expansive than Knights of Minas Thirit, but have +(special rule) +1S +1D +1F +1C -1" M

Iron Hills Champion:
Sorry, 45 points for a F6 3A hero with +1 to wound?!

Iron Hills Warriors: I can see how it would look on paper, but I've playtested them pretty heavily and they are pretty well balanced actually. In formation, they are very tough, but once you can put a chink in that (archers, War Machines, Barge Attacks, Spells, Cavalry) then they are reduced to 12ppm single-attack models. They are going to be outnumbered even by Elves, so they actually work out pretty well.

The Ramriders cost was calculated from their nearest counterpart in role, the Mahud Rider, and from that I believe it is correct. Comparing them to a Knight of Dol Amroth they come out a point too much, against a KoMT they come out too low, but against the most similar thing they do come out right.

I'll look at the costing on the Champion, that may have been an oversight on my part.

Thanks for the feedback!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi,

I will try to create some rules for the worms and post them in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I actually see Dain as S5 with the burly rule. He kills orcs with headbutts. Orcs wearing Helmets. Plus he swings the hammer with ease. I'd love to see him as F7, but I fear that's something that, in GW's mindset, only elves deserves (talking for good sides). Fight value is not just a measure of skill, brute force comes into play (Bolg, to set an example). Of course, the Dain I'd wish to see would be the pillar of any dwarf army.

As for the Pikemen, I believe they're worth 10 points (8 base, plus shield, plus pike). The closest to them are the Esterlings, that don't have to pay 2 points for a pike. Just give them the phalanx special rule and they're good. Or, give 'em a point more and add a Dol Amroth-like rule, where they count as being in a banner range when the king under the mountain is near (in the movie they got their "second wind" when Thorin came out) to represent their loyalty to the king.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dain with S5 could be doable, i just don't want him to be too good. While is is the killiest hero the Dwarves have, he's already very expensive and does have 3 attacks with +1 to Wound or 4 with S4, along with a potential extra S4 attack.

The reason the Dwarves pay more for the Pike and Shields is that each one opens up a special Rule that they otherwise couldn't make use of (so isn't fair to make them pay for in the base profile). The Pike allows them to attack in support while the front guy is Shielding, which is very powerful so worth the extra points.

They do have a Dol Amroth-type rule for Dain, but the rule is attached to Dain for simplicity. Thorin gets something similar in one scenario as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dain is a bit expensive imo, maybe more around the 140-150pts mark?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love this thread. So many great ideas.