Don't use Radagast in Army 1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't use Radagast in Army 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Radagast on???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi everyone,

I just wanted know which option is the best for its points. Should you use Radagast at all?

To make this question more specific; on what should he ride when:

1. He is in a 600 points Radagast's Alliance army
2. He is allied to an other army (also 600pts.), let's say an Erebor army with Thorin, Balin and warriors of Erebor?

Thank you for your thoughts, please use one vote for each army.

Post subject: Re: Radagast on???
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for your votes. It would be nice if you also tell me why you voted for...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Eagle is so much better than a sleigh. Monstrous cavalry rules are nearly OP combined with wizard (Nazguls on fell beast are the best example). You have to be careful with opponent's wizards though. That said, I think he would be at his best either in White Council army (new Galadriel provides great magic resistance) or allied to some already good army, like Erebor you mentioned.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Is Radagast on eagle really that good? I am worried about him only having 6 W points without his staff. Should you really use him in combat with heroes?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

He's is great. I know 6W is not that much, but if you're not facing spellcasters, it is enough. He's got a great range of spells, with nature's wrath being probably the most useful. He's really strong both against troops (monster rules) and against heroes (high F, transfixes and monstrous charge). I cannot recommend him enough, especially combined with Galadriel.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you. Would you still recommend him on eagle in an Erebor Tournament army? Because I always thought that the sleigh is a good compromise between spellcaster and troopkiller.
On foot, he is a supporter who has to be afraid of even basic troops. On sleigh, he is still a supporter but he does not have to be afraid of basic troops and can even kill transfixed heroes.

I think that on eagle, you don't have a spellcaster, but you have a monstrous mount with nature's wrath.

I did have a good idea: Playing an army with Radagast on eagle and Bombur.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Since you mentioned a tournament army, Ill say Radagast in Army two on a horse.

That is by far the most safe and best overall.

If you take him with an eagle, and they have a wraith, your Radagast is worthless. Hes going to get sapped, or transfixed till hes dead.

I dont have too much faith in the sleigh, although it is alright.

On horse with Erebor, keep him behind the tough Dwarven shield wall and can do magic supporting them in combat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Okay, why don't you have too much faith in the sleigh?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Sleigh all day! Yes the eagle makes him a monstrous mount but the sleigh with Sebastian is absolutely ridiculous! Not to mention that he keeps his staff, which he lacks on the eagle.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One round, and he can get swarmed and killed if you dont use it correctly. One random captain of the other teams with a heroic strike and a couple strength four units and youre screwed.

Its just on the horse I know you can keep yourself safer, and I dont believe wizards should be in combat.

Its still a good choice and option to use though!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Doesn't he have the same problem when he is on eagle?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes. And of course LOTBR lol anything can be swarmed and killed if not used correctly. You treat the sleigh like any other cavalry, but it has more wounds, can be healed (unlike a horse), and is unmatched in the number of strikes it can inflict on the knockdown

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

But also much larger than any other cavalry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you want a wizard other than Saruman, Galadriel or Gandalf, take Radagast on foot or on horse, camp him in a forest (obviously after dismounting if you chose a horse) and make use of his Master of Birds and One with Nature special rules. If you want a heavy hitter, take Radagast on eagle.

I would never use Radagast on sleigh after the release of the eagle version, at least when playing competetively. He's so easy to counter - you lose heroic move roll-of, he gets charged by a single guy and your 200 points model can't do anything for the rest of the turn (unless you heroic combat, but might is very precious for this kind of a hero). It will never happen with eagle because of the BPAs. Sleigh's base is awkward and good players will be able to not let it get where you want. Additionaly, his fight is rubbish and even some normal troops can beat him in a fight. Not to mention that even though sleigh has 4 wounds, defence 3 is terrible and elven bows with heroic accuracy can shoot it down in a single turn, so you won't even be able to heal it.

Radagast on eagle is so much better, he really overperforms whenever I play it. I've used him allied with Gondor, elves, laketown and in all hero list, and I'm sure he will be good with dwarves too. And obviously, taking Bombur is a good idea, just make sure to mount him on a pony so he can keep pace. :)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I use Raddy on foot. Mainly by necessity (since I don't have any other version) but I still found him worth his points.
Raddy on foot can benefit from elven cloak and since he always has LoS on the whole battlefield, there's no actual need to expose him. I once hid him behind a wall for the whole game, and he used his spells undisturbed. Plus, by casting his aura of dismay he can keep most evildoers away (of course that can be countered by a fury spell).
I expect Raddy on horse to be enemy archer's top priority.
By giving him Sebastian, it gains a extra attack to win his fights, increasing his chance of survival, but I'd keep him out of combats for as long as possible
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Am I right?: If I want an other fighter, I take him on eagle and if I want a spellcaster I take him on foot. But which do the sleigh/horse have?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Instead of Radaghast on eagle I would field Radaghast and an eagel. 6* Will instead of 6, isn't that easily sapped will, Radaghast is save behind your lines and you don't need to call heroic moves to attack, because the eagle doesn't get the boni.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

In Addressing the Naysayers :lol:

Khan_gfn wrote:
take Radagast on foot or on horse, camp him in a forest (obviously after dismounting if you chose a horse) and make use of his Master of Birds and One with Nature special rules.

He can still make use of his Master of Birds if he's behind a wall, or some other such area, without needing to be dismounted.

Khan_gfn wrote:
He's so easy to counter - you lose heroic move roll-of, he gets charged by a single guy and your 200 points model can't do anything for the rest of the turn

That's true, but that's the risk of any high points model. But even without the charge Raddy is likely to kill anything he's in combat with in a turn or two, so that's hardly 'doing nothing'. And Raddy is F5, against anything less than Elves he will be beating troops rather easily.

Frêrin wrote:
Instead of Radaghast on eagle I would field Radaghast and an eagel. 6* Will instead of 6, isn't that easily sapped will, Radaghast is save behind your lines and you don't need to call heroic moves to attack, because the eagle doesn't get the boni.

True you'll never have to worry about spending might to take a heroic move, but you also never benefit from the model being a monstrous mount, which is far better than a regular monster.

To the OP:

All versions of Raddy are good spell casters

Raddy on foot can hide the easiest, and can benefit from his elven cloak to avoid bow-fire. When given Sebastian his close-combat survivability is greatly increased as you have 2 dice to win the fight.

Raddy on horse is obviously faster than on foot, and has a little more killing punch as he can make use of the cavalry charge bonuses. Although he's still not a great combatant he can go into fights against enemies he's transfixed with reasonable expectations of success.

Raddy on sleigh is my personal favorite. Everyone above is correct when they say "he can be surrounded and killed" or "he can be based and taken out of the game for that turn"; however the same is true of every unit in the game (aside from Monsters on that second point) you always need to be careful with how you maneuver any model to avoid these.
Raddy on sleigh has the greatest killing potential of all his options as (with sebastian) he has 5 attacks base, 6 when charging, making 12 strikes on the knockdown. 12 STRIKES! In addition you can always transfix the model you're going to charge to lessen any chance of being hit.

Raddy on Eagle is good because its a monstrous mount, he gets the knockdown on nearly anything, the bonus attack when charging, brutal power attacks etc. But he does lose his staff, which minus the Bombur cheese factory, is a significant (but not necessarily major) drawback.

Hope that helps you decide which to take, and don't be afraid to use a Wizard in combat, Raddy on Sleigh or Eagle can take care of himself pretty well if you pick his combats carefully, and even on horse he can be useful but this requires even more care when choosing combats

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think that I will buy Radagast on sleigh and the two plastic eagles. Then I will try to magnetize Radagast, one eagle and the sleigh. Do you think that this will work?