Post subject: Re: Anti Smaug
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Necromancer
5 castellans of dol guldur each with morgul blade
witchking 2-10-3 morgul blade
The undying

boom... so much instant death models around, sap Smaug's will stop him from fire breathing and then the long slog begins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The original question of this thread was an army of the good side. Evil does not have that much problems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Grungehog wrote:
Necromancer
5 castellans of dol guldur each with morgul blade
witchking 2-10-3 morgul blade
The undying

boom... so much instant death models around, sap Smaug's will stop him from fire breathing and then the long slog begins

Hmm, I was going to suggest Sauron the Dark Lord and as many Castellans with Morgul Blades as possible, but this could work too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Do you also think that it is nearly impossible to make a competitive and thematic army of the good force?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I stated earlier, treebeard 4 ents, bam, shoot him to death, but shoot first,
I killed him once using, treebeard, dain, balin and the appropriate amount of dwarves to boot make sure you have khzad guards in there piecing and goin 2 h Smaug cannot win all the fights

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

But the dwarfes need to get him with only 5" against 12" movement. But treebeard will help. But it isn't that themed...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

the ents were made as a response to the creation of Dwarves, just imagine the dwarves were off to chop wood, treebeard was about to intevene then boom greater evil to fight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I feel like most all of these lists are blantly assuming the Smaug player just started playing this very hour, a competent player on the other hand ....

Like how.does balin, dwarves and treebeard actually catch smaug? He literally just has to flame, fly, flame..... repeat

Zero chance honestly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Arthas367 wrote:
I feel like most all of these lists are blantly assuming the Smaug player just started playing this very hour, a competent player on the other hand ....

Like how.does balin, dwarves and treebeard actually catch smaug? He literally just has to flame, fly, flame..... repeat

Zero chance honestly

That's also my objection.
Also, Ent's stone are powerful, but they still do one wound. Plus, once you get in close combat, they cannot throw anything anymore.
A wise player would never let Smaug stand still. I would move him constantly, burning everything in the way, and get rid of ents one by one. Dwarves will never keep his pace, they can't match his speed. He's a flying beast, he could even land on top of a building where infantry wouldn't be able to catch it.

Of course, Smaug may roll bad dice. But his will basically kill anything with 3+.
Even siege weapons are useless. With only a 1/6 chance of hitting thanks to the scatter rule and inability to shoot when allies are near, it will require a good amount of luck.

I think Evil has way more chances to kill Smaug.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Arthas367 wrote:

I also think, that some of the players don't think about all of Smaugs possibilities, but the suggestions aren't that bad.

Dikey wrote:
Also, Ent's stone are powerful, but they still do one wound.

They don't do one wound if you roll a 6 to hit (then they do 10 wounds)! With Treebeard's 3 might it shouldn't be that difficult to score the 6. But still the problem is, Ents are not allowed to move and shoot. So you have to get really close and then Smaug will kill your ents in close combat.

Dikey wrote:
Even siege weapons are useless. With only a 1/6 chance of hitting thanks to the scatter rule and inability to shoot when allies are near, it will require a good amount of luck.

We are taking about 700 point armies, so Smaug is the only model on the evil side and is wounded on a 4-2-4 by most siege weapons. But I guess 6 Trebuchets deployed in two warbands of three each with a distance of about 50" (so that the distance is larger than 36"+smaug's basesize) could do the job:
Smaug is not able to sit in the middle and breath fire safe of both, so he has to attack one warband and then (at the latest when he wiped out one warband) the other will be able to shoot 2 or 3 turns what should be enough to wound him twice.

Dikey wrote:
Dwarves will never keep his pace, they can't match his speed. He's a flying beast, he could even land on top of a building where infantry wouldn't be able to catch it.

If treebeard is in front of the dwarfes Smaug has to come nearer, if he doesn't want a range duel with treebeard (Smaug needs a maximum of 4 wounds and treebeard needs two 6's followed by 4+ but has 3 might) which it's a matter of luck even though Smaug has the better chance I guess.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
They don't do one wound if you roll a 6 to hit (then they do 10 wounds)! With Treebeard's 3 might it shouldn't be that difficult to score the 6. But still the problem is, Ents are not allowed to move and shoot. So you have to get really close and then Smaug will kill your ents in close combat.

I don't think one could use might: it's like a lucky hit, it either is or isn't. but I'm not sure.

Quote:
We are taking about 700 point armies, so Smaug is the only model on the evil side and is wounded on a 4-2-4 by most siege weapons. But I guess 6 Trebuchets deployed in two warbands of three each with a distance of about 50" (so that the distance is larger than 36"+smaug's basesize) could do the job:

It's 4-6-4. The siege only hits the intended target on a six. on 2-5 it hits another enemy targets. If there are none, it's a miss. But I'm having trouble recalling if this rule has been changed.

[quote]If treebeard is in front of the dwarfes Smaug has to come nearer, if he doesn't want a range duel with treebeard (Smaug needs a maximum of 4 wounds and treebeard needs two 6's followed by 4+ but has 3 might) which it's a matter of luck even though Smaug has the better chance I guess.[/quote

If is in front of the dwarves, he would just breathe fire.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dikey wrote:
If is in front of the dwarves, he would just breathe fire.

As I said and treebeard would throw stones back at him and with a bit of luck kill him. I don't know if I risk it, if I'd play Smaug.

@siege weapons: on a 2-5 the opponent has to declare another model within 6" or the original is hit.

I'm not sure on the missing scale, too. Will look it up in the community faq.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

let's clear this up, Smaug fire breath range=ent throwing range, also Simon faqed the missing scale rule recently, you can use might to gain a 6.

The ents ARE still the better good option available, yes they can't move and shoot but having the same range as Smaug means, the only way he can avoid taking very lethal doses of boulders is by charging them and that also a hazardous activity as ents only need 5+ to wound him in combat

Also there are only 4 models with F8 in the entire game
Smaug
Beorn-bear
Gwahir
Treebeard

so yeah Treebeard is still Smaug's nemesis using Gwahir to stop Smaug's evil fiery halitosis also works in a pinch

regardless of the player's ability Smaug is easy enough to counter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Grungehog wrote:
The ents ARE still the better good option available, yes they can't move and shoot but having the same range as Smaug means, the only way he can avoid taking very lethal doses of boulders is by charging them and that also a hazardous activity as ents only need 5+ to wound him in combat

Well, no.

Smaug can move and shoot, Ents can't. If Smaug has priority, he'll stay outside of 18", meaning the Ents won't be able to shoot (either out of range, or the Ents have moved to get into range, but can't shoot due to having moved). If the Ents have priority, they'll either stay put (meaning Smaug won't get near either, resulting in a boring stalemate) or they'll move towards Smaug (stopping them from shooting that turn). In the latter case, Smaug moves to within 18" and breathes fire. Next turn, he'll get out of range again. Repeat over and over again, until all walking trees are ashes on the wind.

If the only goal is to kill each other, there is very little reason for Smaug to get hurt at all against Ents (depending on board size I suppose). He can move and shoot, or indeed move very far, and shoot some later turn.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Or stay out of 18", compel a normal ent to within fire range and crisp them one at a time that way.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Grungehog wrote:
let's clear this up, Smaug fire breath range=ent throwing range, also Simon faqed the missing scale rule recently, you can use might to gain a 6.

Smaug
Beorn-bear
Gwahir
Treebeard

so yeah Treebeard is still Smaug's nemesis using Gwahir to stop Smaug's evil fiery halitosis also works in a pinch

regardless of the player's ability Smaug is easy enough to counter

Smaug can move and fire. ents cannot. Smaug can move in and out their range. Or compel them. Or even charge hereby blocking their shooting, since they cannot shoot in combat.
Smaug is a massive weapon, as long as he's not doing the sitting duck he can handle almost anything the good player can field.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Grungehog wrote:

Smaug
Beorn-bear
Gwahir
Treebeard

You forgot Gil-Galad, and the new Elrond has F8 on a 2+.
I think that Smaug can kill Gwahir in one turn or maybe two turns.

What do you think about an army of the dead with Aragon with Anduril plus the King of the dead?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Or stay out of 18", compel a normal ent to within fire range and crisp them one at a time that way.

Sorry sam that is impossible most of the time, if Smaug wants to pull a compel he has to be within12", he moves 12. and therefore to burn the ent he would have move a max of 6", therefore still being within the 18"

compelling ents 1 by one only works if you intend to charge them, as that is the only way you could compel them to not get shot.

all of what I just said applies to the TB+4ents scenario
in this scenario you can only do want you claim by making heroic marches
or if the ents are really far apart

Also there seems to a fixation on Killing Smaug here.

you don't have to kill a model to win against it, most scenarios will have Smaug completely at a disadvantage, lords of battle is by far his forte however

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Grungehog wrote:
Also there seems to a fixation on Killing Smaug here.

you don't have to kill a model to win against it, most scenarios will have Smaug completely at a disadvantage, lords of battle is by far his forte however

To the death: opponent needs to kill Smaug to win
Domination: Smaug may gain 6 points for leader and broken besides with less than 25% of his force it won't be easy for the opponent to hold many markers. Smaug is able to claim one with barge (if there is only one model) and before free one with compel. You don't need to kill him, but it his hard to win, if you don't .
Hold ground: again 3-6 points for broken and leader and if Smaug is able to sit down on the middle of the table there is a lot of the 6" covered (don't know the exact basesize). Besides barge is a good way to free it. So if you want to win, you should kill him.
Lords of Battle: If your army has more than 40 models, you have to kill him.
Recon: I don't like this one, because I don't know what would happen if Smaug escapes, would it end?!

So you are right there are scearios, but even though you will have to kill him most times. Furthermore if you take part in a tournament you can not know in which scenario you will face him.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

in some scenarios merely wounding Smaug once could give a victory