All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 2:23 pm

Post subject: Fellowship of the Ring Journey book - FAQ and broken force
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all!

Just a few questions:

1) I remember there being an FAQ for the Fellowship journey book and I can't seem to find it online anymore. Anyone have a link to it? Or if you're feeling nice, take a pic/type out the changes?

2) Are you supposed to play with the broken force rules for the scenarios or is that rule only used for points matches?

Thanks! :)

Post subject: Re: Fellowship of the Ring Journey book - FAQ and broken for
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:18 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

1) I don't know of an FAQ for the journey books, doesn't mean there wasn't one of course.

2) I would almost always say don't use the breaking rules for scenarios. Traditionally they pit small groups of Good heroes against masses of Evil troops without many Heroes. If you play with the breaking rules then the lack of Evil Stand Fasts means that the Evil force will just vanish in a few turns. Part of the joy of the scenarios for me is seeing the last 1 or 2 Uruk-hai scouts winning the game for Evil in the last turn. That all gets taken away if they leg it on a failed courage test. You can often justify it with fluff by saying that the Evil troops on the table only represent a few of the greater Evil army.

Ultimately, whenever playing scenarios you should do what's in the best interest of the game, they're not about winning or losing, they're about recreating the coolest scenes form the movies on the tabletop!

Hope that helps

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the reply! Makes sense about not using the broken force rule. Wouldn't be very entertaining if the Good side won because the remaining evil force fled the battlefield.

Yes, there were FAQ's for all three journey books, but they have been yanked from GW

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14714&p=159745&hilit=fellowship+of+the+ring+faq#p159745

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:37 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I found the FAQ and 1.1 update for the FotR journey book - printed and stashed between the pages of the book. Unfortunately I did not find the documents in PDF format from my computer anymore.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Was about to say that I didn't know of an FAQ either.. but then went looking through my files, and found out I had it! A pretty recent edition too, so likely the last one released. Put it in my public dropbox folder, you can get it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/584 ... y_2012.pdf

As for the second question.. it depends. You may want to include the rules for being broken in older scenarios, but using the then-current set of rules (a model moves its full movement distance towards the nearest board edge, only being removed when actually moving off). Can't remember the exact ruling, there probably was something about running away from enemy models too. These would be a lot less harsh to the broken army, as models aren't lost immediately.
The reason for playing with the broken rules are twofold: firstly, some scenarios will be designed to have the breakpoint balance out the numerical advantage of evil: they start en masse, but once reduced by the mighty heroes of Good, will run for the hills. Secondly, there are some scenarios that specifically state not to use the rules for breaking: I'd say that when a book includes that for any mission, play all the others from the same book with the rules for breaking.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Cheers for that FAQ Coenus, interesting read. Most of it is irrelevant now given that the profiles have been replaced but there's a couple of interesting tid-bits in there - cheers!

As for courage, bear in mind that the journey books were released after the big blue rulebook so the courage rules were that if you failed you were removed form the table.

I know what you mean about some scenarios specifically stating not to take courage tests for being broken but I've played through the scenarios form FOTR and TTT an awful lot and, IMO, almost all of them are better and fairer without.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Was about to say that I didn't know of an FAQ either.. but then went looking through my files, and found out I had it! A pretty recent edition too, so likely the last one released. Put it in my public dropbox folder, you can get it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/584 ... y_2012.pdf

Thanks for that, much appreciated 8)