All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:20 pm

Post subject: War horns
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Do you use war horns in your army? Do you think they are too expensive pointwise for what they do?

They are really easy to kill unlike banners, who can be picked up again. It's a pity the same can't be done with war horns, but I guess finding a huge banner again in the chaos of battle is easier than a small horn. How do you keep your war horn bearer alive?

War horn heroes are a lot better for sure, they can take more damage and Erkenbrand for example is amazing with his buff. The only other hero war horn I can think of is Merry.

LOTR horn video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNVvtvmpl-g

Post subject: Re: War horns
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Durin has a war horn too - must be the most difficult one to get rid of (D9, 3 wounds, terror). Not a fan of normal ones, you basically have to hide them somewhere to stay alive. Merry doesn't have a war horn as such, which means that his ability can be combined with an actual one, for +2 C to all Halflings. As Merry's is free (on the Shire profile) and the archer with horn looks nice, that's the only one I've ever used, or expect to use in the future (aside from Erkenbrand).
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's something that I've been trying to deduce to. The way I see it, by the time a Horn would become really useful to charge a terrifying creature or a courage test for being broken, the mini carrying it would have already been picked off by the opposing players archers. Although saying this I haven't played a game since Horns were introduced!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Durin has a war horn too - must be the most difficult one to get rid of (D9, 3 wounds, terror).

I forgot about Durin, huh I thought it only gave him Terror, but he indeed has a war horn. You learn something new every day!

@Afastr
They are indeed easy to kill. Imagine having a war horn and facing Legolas, what a waste of points.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have found, at least when playing with orcs of some kind, that the horn will pay for itself in points saved when you reach the break point or have to charge something with terror. I usually hide the or in the back during deployment. My opponents usually forget about him. If I have an extra point I will give him a bow to try and kill anything coming towards him that I can't intercept.
Playing rohan, take erkenbrand, absolute no brainer, his horn with save you in every game, just don't let him get killed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you just leave your warhorn at the very back of the board then there's not really a problem, as there's no range limit.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

is there really war horn for evil armys
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah evil has some warhorn options harad warriors and the Morgal knights really but I think the hunter orcs as well.

But I never make a point to take one personally since I tend to have a lot of elves in my armies or a lot of bodyguard units like khazad guard left toward the end of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have to say if you have elves your ENTIRE army only fails courage on snake eyes. That's awesome. Also in evil armies with orcs where your courage is two And you spam troops with courage two you need courage boosts.

I can't say I've used one but it always seems good.

Hard to argue with evil armies for fury though....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Elves would still "only" have 6 courage, so they would also fail on a 3. As for evil, I either go with Fury for orcs, drums for goblins, and Saruman for Uruks. I've always found it ridiculous that Boromir's horn doesn't count as a war horn. If it had the same rules as Durin's horn, he would be amazing. Horns on heroes are always worth it.