All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:16 pm

Post subject: Rivendell Knights 450pts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Can't decide on Elendil with horse and shield, Elrond on horse, Gandalf the grey on horse or Glonfindal in Armour of Gondolin on horse to lead my all mounted list I'm thinking of taking to Cardiff's into the west, here is the list as it stands
Elendil/Glonfindal/Gandalf the Grey (Leader)
Rivendell knight Captain with shield
1 Rivendell knight with sheild and banner, 6 with sheilds
449pts
Taking Glonfindal would allow me to fit in an extra knight, though would leave me with 9 points unused.
ATM I'm leaning towards Elendil or Glondfindal, need to convert Glondfindal and Gandalf mounted but have the bits for it.
 Post subject: Re: Rivendell Knights 450pts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

its not glondfindal, its Glorfindel lol
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It depends on your style of play....
-How familiar are you with using magic?
-Do you want more units? (If you put in Glorifindel you can add another knight as opposed to the other heroes.)

The way I see it, Isildur is awesome but doesnt really mesh with this army.
Gandalf, his blinding light, and magic can do wonders.
Glorifindel is great but hes just another combat elf. Nothing special about him.
Elrond is very pricey but a natures wrath at the right time can lead you to double strike and demolish some guys.

It really depends on the first two questions though....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm not particularly used to magic, and I'm worried doing nothing but hanging back and shooting and sorcerers blasting all game would not be fun for my opponent.
It was Elendil I was thinking of using, not Isildur, though if I were to use him I could get an extra three knights in :P
Atm I'm leaning towards Glorfindel due to his terror, fight 7 and resistance to magic and the extra knight, as that does take my break limit from 5 to 6.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If going for competitve, I'd be somewhat leaned towards Elrond mounted, (or just double captain + knights) as he can lead knights, which would let you bulk up. And maybe Lindir and Alfrid.

If your playing knights, people might already go in assuming no fun, as they are associated with being the top cav in the game, for various reasons. Might as well go all or nothing.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Either that, or bust out mounted Gil Galad + knight capt/ Lindir + knights
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There a couple models worth considering.

1- Gil Galad, King of te High elves, hes a very nast combatant and quite cheapish compared to others top heavy weight mounted heroes. He gets the best fight value of all and an unusual amount of defence for an elf, even heroes, being toe to toe with most dwarven heroes defence. The downside of Gil Galad is that any combat he loses and takes wounds back will hurt him bad, as the elf king only have 1 fate point to compensate the very high defence for elven standarts.

2- Elrond. Although not considerably mighty for combat like Gil Galad, do not fool yourself, Elrond is nearly one of the top tier nasty heroes that mounted can be a serious annoyance. Unlike GIl Galad, Elrond can pack up some nasty/tricky magic to your advantage. one is the renew, a potencially well casted spell can save injuries even from the most dire of situations. The most favourite however its nature´s wrath.
Nature´s wrath got a 2 side effect on your army vs the oponent. For once your enemy dont wanna get pinned down nearby 6" of Elrond, so likely gonna run away, giving you ample supply for strategy like shoot and run tactics. on the other hand also can provide a key point to turn the battle in your favour, even against other cav as a nature´s wrath dismount enemies as well. Despite this 2 spells elrond its quite a capable heroe, he got high defence and 3 fate with re-roll chances, so hes more tanky than gil galad overall...

3- Elendil, mostly like Glorfindel with less fate but can call heroic combats every single time. Hes alot more expensive though. But like Gil Galad, can gain shield to compensate the lack of fate points.

4- Glorfindel... like from above, bit better overall and somewhat resistant to magic.

5- Isildur. Although at 1st hes not as impressive as the previous guys mentioned, do not underestimate isildur. While wearing the ring hes one of the best cav heroes out there, as its unlikely the enemy wil be able to charge him as well as they will get fight value halved, giving a pretty big advantage to isildur right of the start.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The reason I have not mentioned Gil galad is I'm planning to order the unrealesed minitures mounted model but am unlikely to do so before the tournement.
The issue with Elrond is he only has 3 will, so I can just see him getting shut down by an enemy caster quite easily or even just not being able to cast at all, and I'm not sure taking Lindir instead of the captain to increase it's chances is worth the cost in might and combat power. Elendil is very durable due to his ring, so he does have that, but Glonfindal has fight 7 which allows him to fight monsters more reliably whilst the lord of rivendell is outfought by a troll.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Easy conversion for Gil Galad from the Rivendell captain in my opinion.

With Elrond, you should replace the Knight captain with Mounted Lindir, which greatly even benefits Elrond
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Elendil got no ring mind you...

If you get concerned about characters, take the twins.... not as magic casters like elrond, but duo hard punching and can be flexible bettewn 1 hand 2 handed and parry...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Taking Lindr, I'm not sure on him as he does lose out on might and fighting ability and isn't that much of a threat himself, whilst a captain can feasibly be a threat and so shutting down the big hero but ignoring him is less good for the opponent.
May try Gilgalad if I can get the model in time.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rivendell 450pts

Warband 1
Elladan and Elrohir with heavy armour, elven bow on horse

Warband 2
Rivendell Knight Captain with shield
8 Knights of Rivendell with shield

total: 446pts

Even the twins can shoot bow like the rest
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Zarathustra Suicuine wrote:
I'm not particularly used to magic, and I'm worried doing nothing but hanging back and shooting and sorcerers blasting all game would not be fun for my opponent.
It was Elendil I was thinking of using, not Isildur, though if I were to use him I could get an extra three knights in :P
Atm I'm leaning towards Glorfindel due to his terror, fight 7 and resistance to magic and the extra knight, as that does take my break limit from 5 to 6.

Well listen...I didnt read any posts further than this but let me put it this way:

I asked you a question about what you really wanted out of your army. You didnt say you werent sure.
You said you were not so familiar with magic, and didnt seem to think it would be fun for your opponent.(Hint-It WONT be).
You also likely Glorifindels stats and adding a knight for a better break limit. So Id say use him. It what you want. You can test this and if you dont like it, always modify!

With this army, just shoot for a while till you see an advantage or need to charge in, and then pick your battles sparingly. Good luck. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Upon closer looks to Lindirs cost, I'd actually vote against him and Elrond in 450, just to much for the pair, where your banking on Nature's wrath (especially with limited knowledge on magic) .

Gil or the Twins (as Galanur mentioned) would be the best bet.

What I would do in said situation

Warband 1 :
- Gil Galad (horse, shield)

Warband 2:
- Rivendell Knight Captain
- 9 x Rivendell Knights (Shields)

There is an awkward 7 points remaning, which I guess you could drop a few shields, and get a elf under Gil.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Honestly I think you will be better off giving up on your big heroes and instead add Legolas and as much RK's as possible. Legolas will work the best in this kind of an army. That is of course assuming you want to play it competitively, so run+shoot and then charge. But even if you won't, you can't really go wrong taking Leggy. :)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Leggy prince of mirk for that fight 7 + orcrist goodness :D
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Fluff wise legolas would be better with mirkwood cavalry, not those of rivendell :P
I'm going to try Glorfindal, fluffwise him leading a hunting party makes sense, and he seems decent rules wise, though Isildur could be crazy with 10 knights :P