All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:30 am

Post subject: 750 pts Isengard
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello there!

I recently acquired Uruk-hai models, mainly for painting, but I realised that I could easily build an Isengard army. I said.. why not? I used to play with the old rules, never tried the Hobbit. This is what I have

WB1: Uruk-hai captain (Heavy Armor, Shield)
10 Fighting Uruk-hai, Shield
2 Uruk-hai Berserk

WB2: Uruk-hai captain (Heavy Armor, Two handed Weapon)
10 Fighting Uruk-hai, Pike
2 Uruk-hai Berserk

WB3: Vrasku
8 Uruk-hai with Crossbow
4 Feral Uruk-hai (actually are the guys with the mines converted as two-weapon fighters, awesome!)

WB4: Mahur
4 Scout
4 Scout with Shield
4 Scout with Orc Bow
note: 10 of these scouts are Marauders

:lurtz:

52 models, and 9 might. No meant to be competitive, just fun(ctional) with the models and conversions (all the heroes barring Vrasku are conversions, I will post pictures when I finish the army.. promise :oops: ).

The idea is to use 5 Fighting Uruk with the "tank" hero (WB1) and 10 pikes for a pike wall, flank with the marauders, cover the other side with other 5 shields and the crossbows, place the "assault troops" (berserk, feral) behind one of the two shieldwalls (or even use them as bait) in base of the situation.

Suggestions?
 Post subject: Re: 750 pts Isengard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I mean for not playing super competitively it's still a perfectly fine force.

You have decent might, sustainable troops, offensive power, shooting, etc

Make sure you like support your heroes and shoot their softer targets to soften their lines.

Any idea what army youd be playing against mostly?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you for your answer. I was worried about three things:
- Lack of cavalry - but I will start to collect orcs mounted and on foot, as a possible support and a future Mordor army.
- Lack of Saruman. No plan for him, but perhaps I will buy "big names" character eventually.
- Lack of shaman. But I have to admit, this whole shaman things is not very Tolkien and I would add a shaman only if I found a way to make it "count as" something else. In the books, and even in the movies, the orcs have no shamans AFAIK, is very "warhammer-y" and I would avoid if possibile.

For the enemies, I will build other armies myself. You know, I live abroad but sometimes I go back home; I have this buddy I always played miniature games with, and he is a huge dwarf fan. I had Chaos in WH, I fought his Dwarfs. Same my Orcs against his Dwarfs in Blood Bowl; and so on.

So I was thinking about building a Dwarf force, I just acquired the 8 metal Khazad guards, Gimli, a king and a random dwarf for a dime on ebay (genuine Valar intervention looking at the current prices - and this time, no continent has been damaged in the process!). I could come back and surprise him with a challenge!
I was thinking about something like this:

WB1
King
8 Khazad Guard

WB2
Gimli
4 scout with throwing axes
4 scout with bow
4 scout with 2 handed weapons

WB3
Captain?
4 warrior with bow
4 warrior with Shield
4 warrior with 2 handed weapons

Shield-bearer
3 vault warden
4 iron guard

44 models but they are tough...

Is more or less all "out of the box". Not sure about the characters. I can fit the random dwarf in; I have 7 point left, so count an additional model, potentially.

I am actually not sure if i should drop 1 vault warden to add more "standard" warriors, I could find some metal one on ebay to have many diverse models... but instinctively 3 units look like the bare minimum... :roll:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

With regards to the Isengard force, better to split the pikes and shield Uruks with 5 each per warband. Otherwise in some scenario, you may end up with them arriving separately, which means you either have to waste time to try and marry the two (giving away the initiative), or throw them into combat at less than full potential.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ketara wrote:
With regards to the Isengard force, better to split the pikes and shield Uruks with 5 each per warband. Otherwise in some scenario, you may end up with them arriving separately, which means you either have to waste time to try and marry the two (giving away the initiative), or throw them into combat at less than full potential.

Thank you, this is a very good advice. I will keep this in mind.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Orcobal wrote:
For the enemies, I will build other armies myself.

I know those feels dude. I built from the ground up 6 armies, 3 good and 3 evil.

As for your force, it is very solid I think. My experience with Marauders are that they have great map and objective control. Additionally, Mauhur is a BEAST. Every time I've played, he has been more destructive and harder to kill then an Isengard troll.

Dwarves are tough though, but I think the lists match up pretty well.

With Vault Wardens and natural Dwarf slowness , your Marauders and overall force should be able to easily outmaneuver them. Crossbows are slow I suppose, but once in range they are good to keep firing, and that strength will help punch through Dwarf armor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Spike117 wrote:

I know those feels dude. I built from the ground up 6 armies, 3 good and 3 evil.

I plan something like this - no more than 750, maybe not big names, not now at least. But is a pleasure :)

Quote:
As for your force, it is very solid I think. My experience with Marauders are that they have great map and objective control. Additionally, Mauhur is a BEAST. Every time I've played, he has been more destructive and harder to kill then an Isengard troll.

Thanks. So do you think the matchup is somehow balanced? Consider that in case, I do prefer that is unbalanced in favour of my friend, than in my favour. In case the Dwarven force is too weak, I can add some Khazad guard but for now I preferred the numbers and model diversity. Probably I will go with the same troops, with 2 capitains, Gimli and Balin with the Axe for the heroes.

In future i will expand with champion, a king and more guards, if needed (and some metal old warrior if I find them), but is not my aim now.

Quote:
With Vault Wardens and natural Dwarf slowness , your Marauders and overall force should be able to easily outmaneuver them. Crossbows are slow I suppose, but once in range they are good to keep firing, and that strength will help punch through Dwarf armor.

I will try some unbiased solo match in case for adjustment. I would prepare a Rivendell elves force for another friend too (very few models, easy work) but is not for now. And I cannot plan it very well because of the model cost, does not fit well for 750.

Thank you for the help!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Orcobal wrote:
Spike117 wrote:

I plan something like this - no more than 750, maybe not big names, not now at least. But is a pleasure :)

Quote:

Thanks. So do you think the matchup is somehow balanced? Consider that in case, I do prefer that is unbalanced in favour of my friend, than in my favour. In case the Dwarven force is too weak, I can add some Khazad guard but for now I preferred the numbers and model diversity. Probably I will go with the same troops, with 2 capitains, Gimli and Balin with the Axe for the heroes.

In future i will expand with champion, a king and more guards, if needed (and some metal old warrior if I find them), but is not my aim now.

Quote:

I will try some unbiased solo match in case for adjustment. I would prepare a Rivendell elves force for another friend too (very few models, easy work) but is not for now. And I cannot plan it very well because of the model cost, does not fit well for 750.

Thank you for the help!

No problem. It looks pretty balanced to me, don't see any issues. It's always hard to judge, but play it I think, and see how it works out. I think you will have fun no matter what.