All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:47 am

Post subject: Hobbit sbg heroic channelling
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Heroic channelling boosts the power of your spell and costs a might point to effect... The problem I see is that the heroic action must be called at the start of the move phase, so that's before you cast the spell. That means you could waste a might point, if you subsequently fail your casting roll.

Anyone else think this is wrong?

I would have thought it makes more sense to cast the spell first and if successfully, then spend the might to channel it.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Hobbit sbg heroic channelling
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think it is a challenging rule. It really forces you to think about whether or not it is worth it to risk a might point before calling Heroic Channeling.

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

We also thought that was a bit odd when we first read it but it's definitely as written.

Personally I like it, it means there's an element of chance. If you call a heroic move your opponent can counter with one of his own and potentially neutralise it, if you call a heroic fight you may not kill all your opponents and so waste the Might, If you call a heroic strike you might roll poorly and not gain the advantage etc. If you could call heroic channelling after you cast the spell there is not risk, it automatically happens.

There's not actually any heroic action that guarantees you success and I think this ruling on heroic channelling simply ensures that it's in keeping with the other actions and that wizards need to think really carefully before channelling a spell. Adds a nice new tactical element to the game I think, as does heroic strike which I think is a wonderful edition to the game and really added a lot to the game I played the other day.

Incidentally Scott I've spent a long time on your blog, it's really inspirational stuff (love the Moria scenery) and glad to see your embracing SBG again!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dr Grant wrote:
We also thought that was a bit odd when we first read it but it's definitely as written.

Glad this thread came up, we didn't notice. My son used it a few times after casting...but that's not the only reason he beat me :)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Heroic channelling is a godsent gift for goblin shaman's using fury. Won me 2 battles already. Chances of surviving wounds go from 1/6 to 1/3. That's AWESOME. :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Amarthadan wrote:
Heroic channelling is a godsent gift for goblin shaman's using fury. Won me 2 battles already. Chances of surviving wounds go from 1/6 to 1/3. That's AWESOME. :P

Yes I like that use too, one of the main reasons I want to use it! ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dr Grant wrote:

Personally I like it, it means there's an element of chance. If you call a heroic move your opponent can counter with one of his own and potentially neutralise it, if you call a heroic fight you may not kill all your opponents and so waste the Might, If you call a heroic strike you might roll poorly and not gain the advantage etc. If you could call heroic channelling after you cast the spell there is not risk, it automatically happens.

There's not actually any heroic action that guarantees you success and I think this ruling on heroic channelling simply ensures that it's in keeping with the other actions and that wizards need to think really carefully before channelling a spell. Adds a nice new tactical element to the game I think, as does heroic strike which I think is a wonderful edition to the game and really added a lot to the game I played the other day.

Hmm... I guess thats a fair point, though must admit most other times I choose to use might ,'it works'... the only times I see an uncertainty is usually when both sides call heroic move at same time in same vicinity, as both desperate to get in the charge, one side loses out...

So I guess its going to make easy to cast spells more likely to get channelled... whereas only the biggest heroes will be channelling tougher spells as they have the extra will or might point to back up the attempt... I guess that makes sense...

Dr Grant wrote:
Incidentally Scott I've spent a long time on your blog, it's really inspirational stuff (love the Moria scenery) and glad to see your embracing SBG again!

Thank you most kindly :) I am a bit of a wargames butterfly and flit from period to period... but with the new movies releases I'm likely to stay focussed for the next 3 years or so on LOTR/Hobbit, so long as I can get some games with local players... or my son shows more interest and I can drag him off the computer... :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Glad to hear it, I must admit I was a bit sad reading your disenchanted posts about SBG when you lost interest and turned towards the FOW stuff (which isn't one of my interests) so it was really great seeing some new battle reports the other week!

Incidentally, this seems to be a good thread to re-ask a question I posed in the main thread that got lost in the hundreds of posts:

If you cast channelled Fury and have Groblog in your army does the save go up to a 4+?

Obviously, as written, the answer is no (they both state that the save is passed on a 5+ rather than the save is increased by 1) but it seems odd that one bonus would nullify another bonus so might we expect to see this FAQ'd soon?

Obviously if so it makes those goblin armies even better than they already are! Particularly worrying given that in the new rules any goblin with a sword (so plastics with shields or bows AND Gundabads!!!) can now re-roll ones to wound ALL THE TIME as they'll always have a lower fight value so will always feint. I say worrying, I have a Moria army so I'm not that worried!

P.S. Just seen you've started some Goblin Town scenery - fantastic stuff! Having just got back from the movie I'm itching to start creating a board!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:37 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dr Grant wrote:
Glad to hear it, I must admit I was a bit sad reading your disenchanted posts about SBG when you lost interest and turned towards the FOW stuff (which isn't one of my interests) so it was really great seeing some new battle reports the other week!

Yes I recall that time, it was certainly a low point for my LOTR gaming... glad things have turned around now :)

Dr Grant wrote:
Incidentally, this seems to be a good thread to re-ask a question I posed in the main thread that got lost in the hundreds of posts:

If you cast channelled Fury and have Groblog in your army does the save go up to a 4+?

Obviously, as written, the answer is no (they both state that the save is passed on a 5+ rather than the save is increased by 1) but it seems odd that one bonus would nullify another bonus so might we expect to see this FAQ'd soon?!

I would guess not - there are other rules where such things similarly 'dont stack' - like courage drops for harbinger & goblin drums...

Dr Grant wrote:
Obviously if so it makes those goblin armies even better than they already are! Particularly worrying given that in the new rules any goblin with a sword (so plastics with shields or bows AND Gundabads!!!) can now re-roll ones to wound ALL THE TIME as they'll always have a lower fight value so will always feint. I say worrying, I have a Moria army so I'm not that worried!

Hmm thats a good point!

Dr Grant wrote:
P.S. Just seen you've started some Goblin Town scenery - fantastic stuff! Having just got back from the movie I'm itching to start creating a board!

Cool! Thanks - I'm seeing movie on saturday afternoon...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

jscottbowman wrote:
Amarthadan wrote:

Yes I like that use too, one of the main reasons I want to use it! ;-)

I just take Groblog and his Mithril crown.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Amarthadan wrote:

The new way it works does have significant drawbacks, though:
If you channel, you'll definitely use 2 Will to cast the spell just to make sure it works. Now that Fury ends as soon as you have 0 will, this means that the third Will point is wasted and that you are defenseless against other casters immobilizing/commanding/blasting your shaman - don't resist and you can be killed/moved away from your front line, resist and Fury ends immediately. To be honest, I preferred the old 6+ that could be re-started even with the last Will point to the new 5+ one that leaves you bare after you first cast it.

This actually decided a game yesterday: Gandalf blasted an Easterling shaman (who couldn't resist without dropping to 0 Will and losing Fury) out of range of his entire front line, which subsequently died horribly. :rofl:

On the original topic:
I think a middle way would have been better: decide whether or not to channel immediately before casting! At the beginning of the Movement phase you'll oftentimes not even know whether or not your desired target will be in range by the time you get to casting. This is like having to declare a heroic combat before you know what (if anything!) you'll be up against...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Zogash wrote:
I think a middle way would have been better: decide whether or not to channel immediately before casting!

I'm tempted to agree, and yet I'm not sure it matters in the long run. Certainly not for Fury. If it's for spells like Sorcerous Blast, it forces you to prep your moves the turn before, or maybe it forces you to move your caster first. You can measure any time you like, so I don't think this:

Zogash wrote:
At the beginning of the Movement phase you'll oftentimes not even know whether or not your desired target will be in range by the time you get to casting.

...is a problem. Also, Might is precious, and at the very least it helps you think twice about committing Might to something :)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:13 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It shouldn't change much gameplay when you do it, so long as it's before. Just imagine if Radagast cast Panic Steed successfully, then decided to channel it after casting. An entire cavalry warband could be gone in a second! Seeing how easy Panic Steed is to cast, this is most likely going to be happening a LOT anyway.

On a side note, did anyone else notice how the Gundabad and Dol Guldur shamans don't have Channeled versions of their spells? Do you think this will be remedied in a FAQ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good job Radagast can't be allied with a taskmaster